Suicide Squad ★½

Suicide Squad is 20 trailers interspersed with misplaced flashback sequences that fail to compensate for the lack of a story, vision, or theme.

Boom! We’re doing something! Cue the Black Sabbath, AC/DC, White Stripes, Creedence, etc. song—then show everybody walking together in slow motion. Repeat. Over. And over.

I suppose this is what you get for hiring a trailer house to edit your film (HT Tony Zhou)…

So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

I’m bummed because I thought that original trailer showed a film with heaps of potential

The source material was good. The cast was good—I wanted to see more Leto and Robbie. The costuming and set designs were also good, but sadly, everyone got all dressed up for nothing.

I’ll take Snyder’s overstuffed and unfocused vision over this direct-by-committee bullshit any day. Warner Bros, rock songs, and one-liners can’t save you. If you want to get this DC stuff right, focus on the story.

Trent liked these reviews