I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm Thinking of Ending Things ★★★½

Amped for the impending Robert Zemeckis and Kaufman beef.

Despite the overuse of voice-over, occasionally boring monologues about poetry and David Foster Wallace (yes, that's a thing), and the interesting, but hodge-podgy conclusion; Ending Things is flawed but really exciting when it stays focused on its existential horror.

I love the general unease of the film (made possible by some really good intercutting) and the switching-identities of the characters. I'd say the sequence in the house is perfect. It got me teary-eyed, especially the cutting between Jake's parents on their deathbed versus their younger selves (the general feeling of un-control and life pulling you down its stream really sold me here.)

I think this is a good film but it will probably make Kaufman haters hate him even more. I definitely cringed at some of the dialogue but moments like when Cindy gives a gaudy critique of "A Woman Under the Influence," killed me.

Definitely innovative at times, preachy and boring at others, but still enjoyed it a lot.

Edit: Dropped a half star. think it’s good but feels a bit “2 deep 5 you,” especially with the ending.

Trevor Scholl liked these reviews