Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★★

I can't believe I ever doubted this film would be great. Sony really screwed it over on the marketing, because this was nothing short of awesome. Tom Holland proves once again that he was born to play this role, and his villain - Michael Keaton's Vulture - turns out to be one of the better villains of this series. One benefit to having Peter younger is that we get to grow not only with him, but with the cast of teenagers around him. And let's be real, folks, Peter is way more enjoyable as a high school sophomore here than he ever was as an college-age adult in the other movies. He's super relatable, and has this energy about him that hasn't been seen before. Thankfully, Tony Stark isn't in the movie as much as we're led to believe, but when he is there, you can bet he steals the scene every time. The comedy here is very good, the special effects were better than I was expecting, and the action was pretty solid. There are a few shocking twists and turns throughout to keep things interesting, including one of my favorite post-credits scenes ever. The biggest thing holding this back is the first ten minutes of the film (a recap of the events in Civil War), and one of the biggest continuity errors in the MCU. In spite of this, the film manages to do something that The Amazing Spider-Man movies never could: it makes you care. It's a "smaller" film, but the stakes still seem bigger than ever. And I'm not going to lie, having a Spider-Man film released to critical acclaim once more feels rather good. The film itself doesn't reach the nuanced levels that Raimi's Spider-Man 2 ever did, but in spite of this, you can be sure that the franchise is in good hands from this point on.

trey liked these reviews