Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi ★★★★½

I get it, y'all. I really do. I understand the frustration of hyping something up so much only to be disappointed. I get the vitriol and confusion when you see people liking something you plain didn't. And I understand that feeling when something so near and dear to your heart feels dead to you because of one "wrong" misfire.

But guys... come on now. Two years later and we're still bickering and arguing over THIS? Still by far the best movie of the Disney era, and the best movie since Empire. Here, Rian Johnson learned the correct lesson from the originals - character-driven plots are better. In many ways, it does mirror that fateful sequel in that all of our heroes are split up, our protagonist goes to learn from the exiled Jedi master only to discover new truths about themselves in the process, and the Empire-like body seeks to destroy our heroes' resolve bit-by-bit. Yet, through it all, the hope still lies in Luke Skywalker himself to the very end. Here, Rian Johnson recanonized the films to mean so much more than simple good and evil sides, or life forms that determine how sensitive you are to a life force. He made a Star Wars that EVERYONE could be a part of, that sees the world in shades of gray. Not only that, but it's definitely the most visually interesting of the new ones, and I'd argue that this is Mark Hamill's best performance since Return of the Jedi so many years ago. I understand why people didn't agree with Luke's trajectory, but it's so much more compelling to see a character we know and love evolve into something bigger than when we last saw him.

I don't know, y'all. I found so much in this that I can't help question why nerds got so mad in the first place. Bring on The Rise of Skywalker.

(P.S. Force-sensitive Leia using her powers still owns and I WILL fight that point.)

Block or Report