Ready Player One

Ready Player One ★★★★½

look, if you follow me on any social media you’ll know that i was very very skeptical of this movie. i am very vocal about absolutely despise its source material. it’s poorly written fan fiction. this film is also cowritten by the author of the godawful novel and the writer of x-men 3 and elektra. the marketing campaign also really put me off, but i’m sure it did that to everyone.

but i’ll be damned. spielberg really pulled it off. the good concept was always there, even if kline didn’t realize it. pop culture and nostalgia takes you out of the present and the reality you’re living in. but kline’s lack of literary skill killed his original work for me. spielberg is a master of his craft who has been unrelentlessly making great films for over 45 years. his skill is almost unmatched by living american filmmakers. him & his team of seasoned, talented, and experienced veterans absolutely kill it. the novel’s full potential is finally realized. yes, it’s dumbed down a bit. yes, the ending is syrupy. but compared to the book? blew me away. huge surprise. can’t wait to see it again.

truman liked these reviews