Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

David Lynch's Hollywood is a dark, confusing labyrinth that one cannot escape from. It's a place deeply rooted in the past where the towering palm trees loom over all as those trapped in its web are forced to fulfill every whim and desire of the individuals in charge: nefarious men in big suits. It's a place where people go to fulfill their dreams, only to see their nightmares come alive.

While watching Mulholland Drive for the first time, it struck me as Lynch's dark commentary on the predatory evils of the Hollywood machine. Obviously, there aspects of the film that don't quite fit into that interpretation, which is great! I remember trying to watch this when I was 11 or 12 and dismissing it as stupid and pretentious (boy, I loved that word). Now, I absolutely adore the way Lynch lets the viewer participate in deciphering his films.

There's no such thing as concrete meaning in Lynch's work as it's often so abstract that it can be interpreted as whatever by whoever, and that interpretation often shifts and changes over time. In that way, he has more respect for his audience than most other filmmakers. No easy answers or hand-holding. You're just thrust into the shallow end of the pool with no life preserver. Now learn how to swim.

More to come once I've watched this five more times.

Justin liked these reviews