The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★

Just in case you don't remember, Hugo was the film Martin Scorsese directed before this; I guess you notice the difference. I don't know what else can be said about this great director, because he doesn't have a single flaw on his career. Even Steven Spielberg has. As if he hasn't done enough great movies... I mean, where do you want me to start? Taxi Driver? Goodfellas? Or The Departed? A man who is 71 and still can bring us films like The Wolf of Wall Street is an inspiration.
His skills of storytelling are quite extraordinary and he is one of the few directors who actually uses films to tell a story, a good one. So, he tells us Jordan Belfort's story, a stock-broker, living the high life.
Leonardo DiCaprio portrays this man, and it is the wildest thing anyone has ever put onscreen. What an outstanding performance, flawless! And the same goes for Jonah Hill... this guy really can act, and he is fucking awesome. Margot Robbie, you're gorgeous. And the rest of the supporting cast is also very good and funny.
Terence Winter wrote a fantastic script, setting the perfect contrast between comedy and Jordan's family drama. As we all know, Scorsese encourages his actors to improvise and it's clear in this movie that they do it, which adds realism to the story and their performances. There are a lot of memorable (and always funny) scenes, which I believe will be considered classic scenes, in the future. The only thing against is the weird film editing, even though Scorsese has stated it is on purpose, but I don't know about that.
Scorsese manages to make us wish for Belfort's life, but then he also can make us think "No, no, I wouldn't want this for me"... A director who makes the audience feel that way deserves recognition.
The Wolf of Wall Street is a near-perfect movie that will certainly be remembered as one of Scorsese's best.

João liked these reviews