Dolemite Is My Name ★★★★

For a biography about someone who wants to be successful in life, Dolemite Is My Name is a true story that sure does lift people’s spirits. Before watching it, I was wondering if it would be any good. Last night, it turned out I was right!

Dolemite Is My Name is based on the true story of Rudy Ray Moore. A man who proved everyone wrong about being successful at comedy with his hilarious alter ego Dolemite. A crude, profane laced, and Kung-fu fighting pimp that became a bigger and phenomenal success in one of the most popular blaxploitation films from the 1970s.

When I was a kid, I randomly clicked on a video full of movie trailers from 1970s on YouTube. Because it seemed cool to be in that time period where films were challenged to change with all kinds of raw taboo in that decade. I’m not just talking about popular movies everyone in the whole world knows. I’m talking about cult classics like Coffy, Fritz the Cat, Across 110th Street, Black Caesar, Sisters, anything that was an underrated but beloved film from the ‘70s. As I seen some of these films I mentioned, I went to watch the original Dolemite. It was funny, but not really a favorite. Still, I respect it for being a cult classic for others.

The cast was terrific! It was great to see Eddie Murphy came back to his roots, especially playing in something worth watching! He should’ve been nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars, including Adam Sandler for Uncut Gems. And I think Murphy had a better chance for winning the Golden Globe instead of Taron Egerton for Rocketman. Because he brought back his comedic charm and brought in his dramatic side for playing the character. Let’s not forget about Mike Epps, Craig Robinson, Keegan-Michael Key, Wesley Snipes, and Da’Vine Joy Randolph. They were all fantastic!

The writing from the screenplay was outstanding, and so was the directing! Craig Brewer, the very same filmmaker behind Hustle & Flow and Black Snake Moan, came back to direct another great film. I’ve been wondering if he would come back, because it’s been a long time coming. The soundtrack is pretty awesome for playing the funky music and it’s existing songs from the 1970s! The only negatives I could only say is it’s a little too long, and Wesley Snipes’s character got on my nerves! He was such a pompous ass to everyone. I know it might’ve been true, and was supposed to be funny, but he just really got on my nerves.

Also another great thing was that Dolemite Is My Name wasn’t filled with any “woke” material. It doesn’t patronize black people by portraying them as being helpless victims, and it doesn’t portray white people as evil oppressors. Aside from the crude vulgarity, Dolemite Is My Name had a heartwarming message about how a guy wanted to make something for himself, make people laugh, and show them a good time. If you liked biopics about films like The Disaster Artist or Ed Wood, then I suggest picking this film!

I’m giving Dolemite Is My Name 4 stars!

Stanley liked these reviews