Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★★

Day 73 out of 365:

I was listening to the Drive (2011) soundtrack today and one of my favourite songs from it is called “A Real Hero”. As I was watching Groundhog Day the song kept playing in my head and it gave me an insight into the character development of Phil.

The lyrics go:

“Back against the wall and odds
With the strength of a will and a cause
Your pursuits are called outstanding
Your emotionally complex
Against the grain of dystopic claims
Not the thoughts your actions entertain
And you have proved to be
A real human being and a real hero”

The word “real human being” really stuck out and it made me think of a line Phil said in the movie, “I'm just trying to talk like normal people talk. Isn't this how they talk?”.

Phil, due to Bill Murray’s amazing performance, feels separated from the world around him and he doesn’t act like a normal person (he’s like Deadpool without the fourth wall breaking). We are shown that he doesn’t care about anyone but himself and When he meets Rita, we know that he likes her but he never wants to admit it.

He keeps all of his emotions secret which links back to the line in the song “Your emotionally complex”. Robots and inanimate objects don’t have emotions so having complex emotions is what separates us from them and makes us unique. You could even say that it makes us “real”.

What makes Phil become a better person is that he becomes “a real human being”. It’s not because he learned how to speak french or ice sculpt or play piano, it’s because he acknowledged his surroundings and starting showing his emotions.

The simple thing of asking Larry a question “do you have kids?” And actually being interested in what he had to say impressed Rita. The piano playing and ice sculpting were just ways to advance the plot and keep the movie interesting.

The movie shows us that anyone can become a better person but you have to really pay attention to notice. Phil lights a lady’s cigarette after saving Buster from choking. He didn’t need to do it. It was a small thing but he did it anyway and the lady appreciated it showing us that you don’t need to have any talent to become a better person, you just need to be willing to help which links to the line “With the strength of a will and a cause”.

What we can learn from this movie is that kindness goes a long way. Doing one small nice thing can change somebody’s whole perspective on you. While is may sound silly, this is the best thing that I have learned from this movie.

As we now live in an age of accessible technology it has become harder to communicate with people and in a way we have all become like Phil Connors, struggling to be aware of our surroundings and the people around us. So put down your phone every once in a while. Start up conversations, be interested in other people, don’t be afraid to show your emotions and maybe, just maybe you can become a “real human being”.

(This review was not sponsored by Drive (2011) I just really like the movie)

Tylot liked these reviews