Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★★

Day 78 out of 365:

On day 56 I noticed that all of the news cameras are Betacams. I looked into it and found out that the Betacam was developed by Sony (the same company that distributed Groundhog Day) in 1982, 13 years before the release of Groundhog Day.

This led me to a curious thought. News stations are always using the newest equipment, so if the camera used in the movie was made in the 80s does that mean that the movie was actually set in the 80s and not 1993?

I looked it up and it said it was in fact set in the 80s, so I came to the conclusion that since Harold Ramis stated Phil Connors is in the loop for ten years, the movie starts in the year 1983 as it would make it 1993 when the movie finished and it would make the movie set one year after the Betacam was released.

But today I noticed that on the marquee sign it says Saturday and Sunday which would mean that it could not be set in 1983 as February 2nd 1983 was on a Tuesday.

So I have finally came to the conclusion that Groundhog Day was set in 1985 as that would’ve made February 2nd a Saturday so it would’ve been set 3 years after the Betacam release.

I researched the date and found out that on February 2nd 1985 OJ Simpson married his second wife Nicole Brown so I’m not sure if it ties into Groundhog Day in any way but it certainly is interesting.

Tylot liked these reviews