Frances Ha ★★★★

"It's that thing when you're with someone, and you love them and they know it, and they love you and you know it... but it's a party... and you're both talking to other people, and you're laughing and shining... and you look across the room and catch each other's eyes... but - but not because you're possessive, or it's precisely sexual... but because... that is your person in this life. And it's funny and sad, but only because this life will end, and it's this secret world that exists right there in public, unnoticed, that no one else knows about. It's sort of like how they say that other dimensions exist all around us, but we don't have the ability to perceive them. That's - That's what I want out of a relationship. Or just life, I guess."

I can't personally relate to Frances Ha yet, but there was this feeling inside of me that at many points in the film I was watching my future. I pretty much know for a fact that I will be apartment hopping, trying to make a living at an artistic endeavor that seems hopeless watching old friendships end all around me. Life will turn into a black and white artsy film with late nights drinking wine and talking about literature and what not, so at many points I felt like my laptop had become this stylish crystal ball in a way.

Sure the character of Frances could be considered annoying, but she felt real. I'm sure many 27 year olds in New York City are the same way. I seem to be on a fix of things about women and their friendships and living in New York City, as I am binging the absolutely amazing television show Broad City and it really complemented this and gave me an added appreciation of it that I normally wouldn't have gotten.

The black and white photography is awesome, as I am just a sucker for it. Greta Gerwig was a delight, playing her character with obvious experience from being in similar situations. Her and Noah Baumbach's script is very down to earth and realistic and all around great. I really loved the editing and how it showed constant glimpses of interactions and small moments that make up life, and done in a way that kind of symbolizes the smaller attention span of a "youth".

Frances Ha is about one's future and the temporary nature of friendships, and while it could be considered trite young people problems when in reality don't matter, I think the themes are universal and can be applied to any scale. The only thing is allowing yourself to sympathize for these characters and try to relate to them, and if you can't, I totally understand. But if you can, a beautiful story awaits.

Joe liked these reviews