Inherent Vice ★★★★★

Beautiful frames cross dissolve into each other and become one, just as Doc's memories begin to join together in unity. Shasta's beautiful hair flowing on the beach fades to Doc giving his cigarette one last puff, and in the middle there is a perfect harmony between the two. This is Doc's life, a perpetual limbo between the present and the past, defying the laws of time as we know them. The marijuana smoke leaving Doc's mouth surrounds him, creating a haze that blurs the line between fiction and reality, the past and the present.

I've never smoked weed, nor do I plan to in the future. I don't feel I need to because of Inherent Vice. It exudes this indescribable feeling, one of paranoia, and longing, nostalgia, excitement, fear, fun, beauty, but most importantly unity. All of these descriptions morph into something new, something different. It's an atmosphere that can only be experienced. I get wrapped up in a swarm of emotions and carried away to a different time, a time of conflict, but rooted in the timeless human emotions of love and nostalgia. I don't have a drug problem, but I do think I'm addicted to Inherent Vice.

Joe liked these reviews