Parasite ★★★★★

"You know what kind of plan never fails? No plan. You know why? If you make a plan, life never works out that way. With no plan, nothing can go wrong."

I am always so excited for a new Bong Joon-ho film that there's this little gremlin that perks up in the back of my mind whenever a release draws near. I worry that my own overbearing enthusiasm will one day leave me disappointed, but time and again, Mr. Bong exceeds all expectation.

Parasite, like all of his other movies, is an ingenious and all-around entrancing work. It's difficult to pin down one single aspect that 'works' above all else or which makes the film great, but that's the brilliance of Bong Joon-ho. His films are harmonious in the way they blend genre and twist presumption, in how they're both imposing and intimate, both sober and manic. Contrasts co-habit and converse with master precision. He weaves together these ensemble pieces from fragments here and there, saying and showing so much in a package that is impeccably wrapped, layer upon layer.

The same film that will have you gasping in horror will have you laughing riotously, with a stupid grin from ear to ear, beaming because you wonder just how on earth he does it so well. Bong Joon-ho's films are like modern day fairy tales, each brandishing a hypnotic many-faced mask — they are equal sides twisted and pleasing, sometimes both at the same time. You never quite know what he'll come out with next, and it's this sort of boundless classification that shows his aptitude lies, not only as a director, but also as an expert writer and story-teller.

Christopher liked this review