Get Out

Get Out ★★★★½

This film is anything but conventional. It's different, unique and pays off in the end. In an age of horror films that rely on jump scares and less than mediocre plots, Get Out comes along with an interesting plot and great acting.

The plot deals with the horrors of racism despite not really a conventional horror film. A good chunk of the film is developing these characters and this story, which contributes to the horror aspect. It's more of a psychological horror film, relying on dialogue and imagery as opposed to jump scares. Seeing as Jordan Peele was a comedian, there are some funny bits in the film. Most of them are because of Lil Rel Howery's character Rod. Sometimes the humor doesn't really fit, taking away from the more suspenseful tone of the scene before it, but for the most part it works. Seriously, he was one of the best things about this film. The film takes almost a satirical approach, commenting on real world issues and taboos. All of this is presented under the guise of a horror film, and it all works.

Daniel Kaluuya and Allison Williams both give great performances. Williams has a few scenes towards the end that I really enjoyed, and showed some major talent. Both of them also had great chemistry together. They're both relatively young actors, so I can't wait to see what they do in the future.

Jordan Peele, if he can keep this up, will probably reinvent the modern horror film as we know it. With his unique style of storytelling and his ability to show the horrors of real life, we can hopefully expect more smart, more thoughtful horror films.

Overall, Get Out is one of the best horror films in recent memory, commenting on real world issues while still giving some effective scares. If you haven't seen it I strongly suggest you seek this film out.

Mike liked these reviews