Parasite ★★★★★

Can I say ... another hit from the Bong???

Damn this is such an incredible film. Bong Joon-Ho is at the top of his game here, surpassing the high bar set by his previous works. This film works not only as a suspense film, but also as a relevant social commentary about class. I can't stop thinking about the themes presented, they're just so pertinent to today.

The performances here are also astounding, and there's quite a bit of humor in there as well. This is definitely a film that tries to balance a lot of tones, and succeeds at doing such, as it never felt jarring.

I can't praise the cinematography of Hong Kyung-pyo enough. It does a great job at showing the disparity between the lower class and the higher class, with shots in the higher class setting being more sleek than the ones in the dingy apartment. There's also some great uses of color in this film, mostly towards the end, that also contributes to the film's overall tone/meaning.

I already know that I'm going to see this one again, as it's one of my favorites of the year so far. This is peak Bong Joon-Ho, at least for now until he sets another high bar with his next film.

Mike liked these reviews