Phantom of the Paradise ★★★★½

A rock and roll drama set to the incredible soundtrack by Paul Williams, Phantom of the Paradise is a film that captivates you from its opening.

From its seemingly innocent tone established in the beginning, you can kinda predict what happens. But then the film pulls a complete 180, introducing satanic and supernatural elements. It goes completely batshit crazy, but it all works.

De Palma's frenetic directing style along with with almost regal aesthetic make this something that's just so pretty to look at. This, along with the stellar soundtrack by Paul Williams make this film truly unique.

The film ultimately is a character study on someone who just wants credit for his work. He feels cheated and robbed, and wants nothing more than have his music performed the way he wants it. Overall he's a really interesting character, and one that I'll be thinking about for a while.

Being honest, this is a hard film to talk about. It's a film that you have to experience, and interpret yourself. I think it's kinda about a generation infatuated with the idea of celebrities being gods, as well as the desire for entertainment. Everything about the film is over the top and excessive, but there's a certain beauty to it.

I urge you all to see Phantom of the Paradise if you haven't. It's a little unclear with its themes and there's a lot to be interpreted, but it's such an experience to behold.

Mike liked these reviews