Cléo from 5 to 7 ★★★★★

I've never seen an Agnès Varda film before so took a chance on this one. I'm so glad I did.

What a groundbreaking film. Made in 1962 and shot in glorious black and white and very briefly in colour, the film plays out in real time over 90 minutes as the lead character makes her way across 1960's Paris to attend a hospital appointment.

It's a stunning piece of film making and unlike almost anything I've seen before made around the same time.

It's expertly acted, beautifully shot (albeit it suffers from the odd minor obvious edits) and a joy to listen to.

Towards the end of the film events take a bit of a turn and I found myself heavily invested in the character of Cléo and what she must have been feeling for the past 90 minutes.

This film is all of the above and so much more. The attention to detail goes down to microscopic layers, even down to details such as all of the clocks in Paris that appear in the film representing the genuine real time elapsing over the running time of the film (which was shot on midsummer day 1961 for the most daylight). Even down to only two extras appearing in the film, everything else was authentic real time comings and goings of real people, in the cafes for example.

Check out the documentary about the film for more amazing information about this wonderful film.

Without a doubt this is a stunning film, a masterpiece of film making. I'll watch this again for sure to pick up things I may have missed the first time round.

I'm watching a new film every day for the month of January 2020 and I'm pretty confident this will be the top ranking film of the month for me. I'd even go so far as to rank this already as one of the best films I will have watched this year, or indeed many years previous.

Don't let this one pass you by. Any fan of film should watch this and the accompanying Criterion documentary.

What are you waiting for?