Holy Motors

Holy Motors ★★★★★

Within an individual life, and perhaps in sequential ones, we are incarnated not one but many times, taking on the roles that we are given or aspire to, performing them to the best of our abilities, succeeding sometimes, failing others, oftentimes just getting by. If you could prepare or hone a gift for sudden improvisation that would undoubtedly help, as would having a stretch limousine dressing room piloted by an expert chauffeur (Edith Scob!!! In a role which connects directly to her ***** performance in Eyes Without A Face, the film of films whose presence more than any other's lingers or hovers like a ghost or an angel over Holy Motors) and filled with endless theatrical props, makeup mirror and an electrical fireplace to ferry you from discrete role to discrete role. It would also help if you were Denis Levant, to throw yourself bodily and with the strength of ten lions and the courage of 100 to face the barely known challenges at hand. In the world of Holy Motors, so like our own, theatrical events occur as appointments all over the city of Paris in what are typically considered non-theatrical locations in front of audiences who do not generally understand what they are seeing is theatre, wherein one, two or more actors are given their character, their co-actors, their location, and have to do their own makeup Lon Chaney - style in a moving vehicle en route to the next appointment, one after the other, from morning until the close of the night. We follow Mr. Oscar, played by Denis Levant, on one such day, into various situations and genres. While not technically a horror movie I suppose, Holy Motors betrays the most affection for old-school horror movies of the XXth Century, feeling despondent in the wake of their passing, yet excited about the opportunities offered by contemporary cinema. Also, there is a heartbreaking Kyle Minogue music video/dramatic segment, so KYLIE ELISION! Also in what has got to be my personal favorite theatre-play, there is an Eva Mendes appearance that is Just Right. This is, however, Denis Levant's movie, a film where Carax can get him to embody the entire history of cinema, to make movie after movie after movie with him. This is not the work of young people. This is the work of people who know how limited the remaining time available might be, and who are running from the encroaching darkness, waiting for that perfect moment of maximum drama for the stage lights to cut out and everything fade to black. When there is talk of cinema being the most whole or total art, something like Holy Motors is a good example of what is being pointed at. If Leos Carax never makes a movie again, he has given the world this, enough movies for a lifetime.

ABORTION ON DEMAND WITHOUT APOLOGY!!! liked these reviews