Malcolm & Marie

Malcolm & Marie

Malcolm and Mary is a story that at first glance may seem like simple shouting and repetitive dialogue. But before I praise this film, partly deduct from it and partly put it on places, I would like to ask a question first.
What did everyone who didn't like the movie think it was going to be?
Did they imagine a Marriage Story with more sex and in black and white?
I mean one look at the director should be enough to know what kind of movie it will be.
"A filmmaker and his girlfriend return home from his movie premiere, smoldering tensions and painful revelations push them toward a romantic reckoning."
What more did you need?
Why do you need this cliché act breakdown, a clear hero's journey?
Why do you need characters you already know and not people who are more complex and reveal their traits only with time?
That said, I'd like to go into the story itself.

The story breaks with conventional storytelling and tells you a much more broadly fascinating story through the characters and through the stories they tell.
It is theater.
The film knows you. It knows the audience, it knows how the classic Netflix viewer will react to Zendaya in the bathtub. It addresses this consumption problem and doesn't relativize it like many critics claim. No the film is not a 100 minute commercial against film critics and analysts. If that's what you took away from the film then maybe you should question yourself again.
Yes, from minute 60 there is a small downer that didn't fit into the film but everything else was round and felt perfect.

Try to throw your advantages into the background for 100 minutes.
But most importantly, think about the movie. Don't check it off with a simple bad score on Letterboxd.
That said, it should give you everything you need to enjoy Malcolm and Mary by Sam Levinson.

Moritz liked these reviews