Descent Into Darkness: My European Nightmare

Descent Into Darkness: My European Nightmare ★★★★★

I'll be shocked if this isn't my biggest surprise of the year. How I've never heard of this is beyond me. It is truly a wonder to behold.

I put this on before bed, expecting to watch the beginning and maybe shut it off around the half hour mark. No chance of that happening. I was absolutely riveted.

I wouldn't want to give much away, but this is probably one of the best "descent into madness" films I've ever seen. And the first half hour plays fairly straight. But you can see this happy Russian tourist has something off about him. Maybe the camera strapped to his head could be the first clue.

And speaking of the Russian tourist/filmmaker, Rafael Cherkaski gives one of the best performances I've ever seen. Ever. His transformation during the film is really unbelievable. I had to check that it wasn't two or three different actors playing the lead role.

He also wrote and directed this incredible labour of love. The story is never, ever dull, and the way the camera follows our lead's descent is just fucking incredible. The film starts off quite cheerful... a little too cheerful really... and things get less and less... well... cheerful. And by the end, you are fucking terrified.

This is a must see. I will be recommending it to everyone I know who is into film. And can handle disturbing stuff, of course.

Plus, it's a very effective "parody" of people's illogical fears of illegal immigrants.

And I don't believe for a milli-second that this film won't be discovered eventually. It's only a matter of time. It's too fucking good.

Chris liked these reviews