Inside Llewyn Davis

Inside Llewyn Davis ★★★★★

Getting back into Coen mode for Hail, Caesar! coming out soon, and cause I've seen a handful of thinkpieces that made me want to watch this film again.

I loved this film from the get go, but it wasn't until a third viewing that I realized this is one of the best films the Coen brothers have ever made. Inside Llewyn Davis is practically made to be watched again and again - with new insights to me made with each viewing. Some of you may know I'm a music buff which somewhat contributes to my liking of this, as this is a film that is essentially driven by it's soundtrack. Strangely enough, this may be the Coen brothers's most visually compelling film as well, and Roger Deakins isn't even the DP. Again, there's so much to return to because it's so rich in detail. Each character Llewyn encounters has a trait that perfectly embodies the time period and attitude of the story, even the soundtrack and it's moody portrayel of New York City work as characters themselves here (and yes, the cat too). Each string a quilt of Llewyn Davis's everlasting loss, sadness, and struggle - creating the odyssey outside of Llewyn Davis that reflects back on what's inside Llewyn Davis.

Also, since I saw Anomalisa last week I can't help but notice some similarities between these two films. Llewyn and Michael aren't particularly likeable characters, but you weirdly symphatize with them. I imagine this is because we all some of ourselves within these characters. While those two characters may act selfishly and probably bring a lot of their misfortunes upon themselves, these are ultimately human beings (well, one puppet) that are just trying to live their lives and long to fill their empty void of happiness and success, even if they aren't really sure what the end game is. Also, these are two characters aren't much different by the end of the film than they are at the start of the film - except they may be just a bit wiser. Yet strangely enough, both of these characters are utterly fascinating.

Truly one of the best cinematic works of our time and one of the Coen's best outputs - which says something given their fantastic track record.

"I don't see a lot of money here"

Doug liked these reviews