Thor: Ragnarok ★★★★★

I managed to avoid most of the comments about this one, so I knew only that it was fun. I know of the director and his quirky humor, but I was definitely not expecting this finely crafted blend of high-level humor and action.

I remember liking the first Thor (even though my rating doesn't reflect that), but the second one put me to sleep in the second half. I'd like to revisit both to see if MCU improved that much or I simply wasn't ready for the character. This one, on the other hand, did not let go from start to finish. All the key actors felt like they were born to play their characters and that is on top of the great chemistry they had on screen.

VFX is, of course, top-notch, coupled with the 80s rock music, that brings back a slight nostalgia, but the dose is carefully administrated, so you don't feel hit over the head with it. Coming into this one I would say the slow-motion scenes were overused in the movies in the last years, but the way they are used in MCU does not bother me at all. Being for comedic effect or emphasizing the badass factor of the action.

Thor goes through the whole range of (e)motions like self-confidence, pride, grief, shock, hate, denial, helplessness, hopefulness, concern, respect and sacrifice played masterfully by Chris Hemsworth. I knew he is capable of it after seeing his memorable comedic performance in the Ghostbusters 2016 revival, but to see it on full display here, without missing a beat was immensely enjoyable.

The bottom line is a dynamic and well-paced script that was executed with a clear vision by Taika Waititi that hits all the marks just right and far surpasses the first two installments. Thor 3, Captain America 2 and 3 along with the final two Avengers are in the league of their own!

uri75 liked this review