2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

"It seems to have been deliberately buried."

Holiday Weekend Favorites Rewatch Mini-Marathon -- Film #4 of 9

Not enough talk about that scene on the Moon. So good.

I don't even know if I can be friends with you if you don't love this movie.

I mean, c'mon, it's 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is a travesty that it's only 40th (40th!?) on the Letterboxd Top 250. That's a joke. Who's giving this less than five stars?

Well, it ain't me, friends. And I hope it ain't you.

I had the chance to see this in IMAX two years ago and it was one of the singular film experiences of my life. Tonight I finally watched on a Blu-ray that I've owned for a while but never cracked open. Looks fantastic! Crisp and perfect sound. Again, you are not a movie lover if you don't immerse yourself in Kubrick's masterpiece of masterpieces at some point.

This film was made 52 years ago. Fifty-goddamn-two! Jesus. Just… what and how the hell. I mean, yes I will watch all the Blu-ray extras to see what and how, but you know what I mean.

Nothing more from me tonight. Like I said, no real write-ups this weekend, just fun. I'll let the experts have their piece. I would like to link my friends' best reviews though! Yes, you! No, not you. You! Check them out:
Andrew Hutch
Graham Williamson
ScreeningNotes
Milez Das
Robert Beksinski

Props to all those fantastic gentlemen (and lady!) who are much better at this than I am.

Part of My Subjective List of the Best Narrative Films.
Added to My Subjective List of the Best Films from Every Year I've Seen Them.
Part of Stanley Kubrick ranked.

🐱Andrew liked these reviews