Parasite

Parasite ★★★★★

"Aren't we fortunate to be worrying about things like this?"

Tune into the Independent Spirit Awards tonight at 10pm!! (That's 7pm for you Left Coasters.) Hosted by the hilarious and wildly talented Melissa Villaseñor!!

Watching one of the all-time greatest to celebrate the anniversary of its historic wins last year -- yeah I know it's not the same date, whatever -- as I don't want to pick a favorite for 2021's show. I spread the love in my votes as you probably could guess, though I do have ones I'm rooting for, but there are hardly any nominees I'll be disappointed in winning. I like film clips and pretty dresses and fun! So duh I watch award shows, of course.

By the way, I'm finally watching my Criterion Collection blu-ray tonight, and the stunning black-and-white version that some of you were lucky enough to catch in theaters last year. It's really something. I don't think I will ever get tired of the miracle that is this utterly perfect movie from Bong Joon-ho.

I still remember Parasite winning its lone Spirit Award last year -- sadly it really wasn't eligible for anything else -- and it was the last bit of convincing momentum that made an Oscar triumph really seem possible. That's the Spirit Awards! The best awards show each year, bar none.

This season there are big hopes for Nomadland and Never Rarely Sometimes Always which could rack up the wins tonight. Tune in to find out! I'll be staying up late and posting comments all night!

And PLEASE become a member in Film Independent! We need all the support we can get.

Part of The Best Narrative Films of 2019.
Part of 2020 Independent Spirit Awards nominees, ranked.
Part of 2020 Academy Awards nominees, ranked.
Part of Bong Joon-ho ranked.
Part of My Subjective List of the Best Narrative Films.
Part of My Subjective List of the Best Films from Every Year I've Seen Them.

🐱Andrew liked these reviews