Doctor Sleep ★★½

I have mixed experiences with Mike Flanagan's directorial output; I thought Oculus showed a lot of promise and Gerald's Game was quite good, but The Haunting of Hill House was one of the most boring TV series I've seen in my entire life.

The Shining was a great book and I never understood why Stephen King chose to go back to the "Shining-verse" and write a sequel. For me, that story was done and I didn't have the slightest interest in reading Doctor Sleep, which is saying something for a King fan such as myself.

Kubrick's movie is also one of my all-time favorite horror movies, so you can safely say I was a bit worried going to see Doctor Sleep.

... and I was right to be worried.

The oppressively dark atmosphere that made The Shining such an effective horror movie is completely missing here, instead we have a TV miniseries condensed down to a movie, and at no point is it even remotely scary or interesting ... and it has stupid "steam" vampires, which actually made me laugh a couple of times.

The last act was a bit painful to watch, because all it did was to highlight the difference in talent between a truly great director (Kubrick) and a merely competent TV movie director (Flanagan).

Valdimar liked these reviews