Punch-Drunk Love ★★★★½

Anxious, angry, troubled, lonely, giddy, all emotions that I experienced watching Barry as he mirrored them back to me. The relatability I felt throughout this film was entirely overwhelming. Barry and I both come from big families where we are constantly pushed into this passiveness/loneliness to the point where our only defense is to lash out in one giant fit of anger. Him trying to go to his brother-in-law to just talk about his feelings and hoping for confidentiality, but being sorely mistaken has happened to me with almost everything I've ever told my mother. I almost stoped watching at this point because I felt so strange I didn't know what to do with myself. Watching Barry struggle to open emotionally and to tell the truth about certain aspects of his life was so touching and to be honest gave me a bit of anxiety as I was afraid for him. I wanted him to be able to do it, I craved to see him succeed in something that I struggle with forever. And in the end we both were able to achieve it.

By the way seeing Adam Sandler not in a shitty comedic role was absolutely mind boggling and I will never talk shit about this man again because he really fucking did THAT.

zoee liked these reviews