Booksmart ★★★★

I can't stop smiling when thinking about literally any part of it.

Billie Lourd and Skyler Gisondo are such huge comedy stars and they don't even know it (which makes this snapshot in time all the better).

It's funny because a lot of the perspective on this seems to be focused on how it and its stars will be perceived down the road and what Booksmart will come to represent in their careers. Whether it be the one that introduced them to the world, the one they'll never get away from, or the one that may not be their best or biggest, but will always be most people's favorite. Sure, Booksmart is likely to become any and all of these things just as it will undoubtedly become a staple of sleepovers for the current generation of high-schoolers, but the magic is in why it will become these things and why it will continue to be a part of the conversation even when it opens below expectations at the box office. The magic is simply the character interactions and the style with which director Olivia Wilde-in her directorial debut, mind you-captures them. It's both timeless in its aesthetic, but modern in its conversations. People fall into clicks, but are never categorized by labels-they are simply people and interact with one another as if the option is always there to become whoever they want to be. There are no heroes, there are no villains, there are only people trying their best and becoming some of our favorites. Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever are fantastic, yes, there is no denying, but so is every. other. supporting. player. Each of whom contribute to the immovable grin on my face whenever I think of any given scene in this fantastically funny and effortlessly cool teen comedy.