Edge of Tomorrow ★★★★

There will come a day when Tom Cruise not only doesn't make action blockbusters like this, but when he won't be able to and when that day comes we will miss it. Not necessarily just out of a sense of nostalgia, but because Cruise is the last of a dying breed; one of the only true movie stars left who, despite his image being tainted over the years, can demand the kind of budget and talent that it takes to put together an original effort worth standing behind. He has done this throughout his career, spearheading projects like The Last Samurai that would have never been made on the scope they were without the involvement of Cruise. So, even though the artistic edges may have faded in the wake of his public life being more important than his acting ability, he is still able to make movies he seems interested in, but that are more or less of a certain genre that has better odds of making a solid return at the box office than maybe a historical drama. With Edge of Tomorrow or All You Need is Kill as it was originally, less-generically titled (interestingly enough, I don't remember seeing a title card) Cruise has again stepped into the world of science fiction and though he seems to enjoy these kinds of worlds and the different rules in each of them he can explore what makes Cruise the still magnetic force and pure movie star that he always will be is how he digs into the motivations of the character and makes what could easily be looked down on as silly or nonsensical into a valid threat, a valid journey, a valid plan, or any part of it you'd expect to sound gimmicky or corny that is made all the more real, all the more immediate by not only the surprisingly rational dialogue, but by the fervor in which Cruise delivers it. Yes, Cruise is chief among his co-workers as a man who can still open a film and get people interested simply by having his name over the title. Still, what struck me more as I watched a nearly 52 year-old Cruise ride a motorcycle on the outskirts of some ravished city that highly referenced any number of Cruise films was that one day we will long to simply go to the movies and have the ability to watch a Tom Cruise blockbuster and that those kinds of opportunities will not always be there and so we should appreciate these occurrences especially when they are as entertaining and and thrilling as Edge of Tomorrow.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.net