Spider-Man: Far from Home

Spider-Man: Far from Home ★★★★½

My mind is a jumbled mess still, but the slow first act dramatically turns into a surprising and fun second and third act. I'm a bit sad that this movie doesn't actually introduce the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse but it's plausible it'll still be introduced down the line.

The movie doesn't quite click at first. Fury seems a bit... slower on the uptake than usual, and more willing to forgive Peter's adolescence. Mysterio is corny at first, set up to be exactly like the Tony Stark role in Homecoming with average acting by Jake Gyllenhaal. The Elemental threat is defeated way too quickly, about an hour into the film, it would seem. At first.

Whereas Into the Spider-Verse threw you into a trippy world where no rules exist immediately, Far from Home lets you think this is just the status quo post-Endgame. And I fell for it. We all fell for it. Feige and Pascal really sold us on the multiverse idea -- even though we know Mysterio is a master of deceit already, it sounded too much like the direction they would go. And then, they didn't.

A lot of the outrage over this movie by more rabid fanboys and fangirls has been over the Mysterio monologue where his true intentions are revealed, because apparently it sullies the name of Tony Stark. Well, that's bullshit. Tony Stark has always been a complicated character, and taking Quentin Beck at his word that Tony Stark "stole his technology" and named it BARF as a subtle dig is meant to be funny and meant to show Beck as unstable, not Stark as a ruthless monster. I enjoyed the connection to Iron Man and to Civil War. There was also a shot of Peter holding a sign as a shield and a drone as a weapon that called back to two months ago when Cap held his shield and Mjolnir. This is the kind of shit I eat up, not that pisses me off.

Anyway, Mysterio's reveal is somewhat obvious in hindsight but that doesn't make it any less of a gut-punch to see him casually accept he has to kill Peter Parker and all his friends to tie up loose ends. And the stinger reveal that Fury is off-world on a Skrull ship while Talos took his place to locate a Kree sleeper cell is intriguing. (As is Fury's beach projection, looking a little too much like TAHITI to not be a nod at Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- which has spent plenty of time with the Kree and in space.) This movie sets Phase 4 in motion big time... as does Mysterio's big ass set of balls when he doctors footage of Spider-Man murdering him and then revealing his identity as Peter Parker. It is very clear to me that they're setting up the Sinister Six, possibly as an "Avengers-level threat" that would actually require Peter to call upon fellow heroes at a time when the Avengers are nowhere near available (as they are not available during FFH either for reasons I'm sure we'll see on the Disney+ shows).

Everything isn't perfect. While I loved the last hour of the movie, the first half really did drag. I noticed the color palettes seemed a bit mediocre during daylight scenes, which is a shame. Sony Pictures Imageworks isn't quite as masterful at CGI as ILM is, which becomes very noticeable on an IMAX screen -- it's not bad CGI but it's not at the high bar set by IW or Endgame.

It will definitely take at least one rewatch to pick up on all the foreshadowing for the ending in the first half, and for all the foreshadowing of Phase 4 in the second. Go see it in IMAX for the expanded aspect ratio as it makes the Mysterio mindfuck scenes even more trippy.

The IMAX release of this film features an exclusive, expanded 1.9:1 aspect ratio for select scenes.

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019
Regal Opry Mills 4DX, IMAX & RPX (Regal #0615)
Nashville, Tennessee
Auditorium 21, seat H28-H32 @ 12:01am
IMAX with expanded 1.9:1 aspect ratio, stadium seating
Adult IMAX ticket - $19.97
Seen with my mom & dad, their friend, Jose & his stepdaughter, Kimmy.

Vasili liked these reviews