Gravity ★★★★½

I've been waiting anxiously seven years for Alfonso Cuarón to bless us again. It's been that long since Children Of Men, a film so phenomenal and powerful that it changed the way I view and think about movies. It was one of my first HD-DVD purchases, and went on to become the most watched in my collection until the format eventually succumbed to Blu-Ray.

Gravity is likewise an astounding and absolutely gorgeous film, and regardless of how you may end up feeling about it, the fact is you've never seen anything like it. Visually, the cinematography and animation are perfect, especially in 3D. I mention them together because I have no idea where one ends and the other starts. As with Children Of Men, it absolutely boggles my mind how some of this was shot - thanks again to cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, and I can't wait to be educated by the making of features on the must-buy Blu-Ray.

This survival story concerns two astronauts on spacewalk who find themselves unexpectedly showered by huge chunks of debris from exploded satellites, hurtling through space at unbelievable speeds. Their ship is completely pulverized. Low on oxygen and propulsion, panicky rookie Stone (Bullock) and confident mission leader Kowalksi (Clooney) must attempt to make their way to the possible safety of a distant space station and then try to figure out what to do next.

Every new heart-stopping development is expertly crafted with tension and a cinematic eye. The camera effortlessly navigates the action and even switches perspective without apparent cuts, and the sumptuous beauty is so evident that even when things are at their worst, Kowalski can't help but notice and comment on two different occasions about the grandeur of how the sunlight plays on the surface of the earth.

Gravity is a gorgeous, harrowing, triumphant film, and viewing it in 3D on a huge theater screen is highly recommended.