Doctor Sleep

Doctor Sleep

This movie is genuinely one of the worst films I have seen in a long time. Eh, maybe ever. I am shocked at this films reception. I mean come on. The film is either doing an annoying, laughable, unnecessary, and cheap impression of Kubrick’s film, or it’s being its own thing, and when its being it’s own thing it is just laughably bad and cliche. The villains are so indescribably cartoony and over the top. I honestly can’t believe they are getting a pass, let alone praise. Like, they are reeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyy impossible to take seriously. I don’t wanna say that they ruin the movie, because the movie has little going for it anyway, but they are definitely the worst aspect of the film. All the super natural elements that we see look absolutely ridiculous, and prove The Shining’s brilliance in not actually showing anything that is overtly/otherwordly supernatural, because it understands that our imagination and the unknown is far more chilling than seeing any of the goofy shit that was shown in Doctor Sleep. This thing is overstuffed with cheesy horror tropes, plot conveniences, ineffectiveness. For a film that tries way too hard to replicate The Shining in so many scenes, its truly brilliant how little it understands why that movie was successfully scary. I know its best not to compare, but with the abundance of attempts at visual callbacks and references to The Shining iconography, the film is kind of forcing me to. And incessantly forcing me to compare you to the best horror film ever made is a pretty fucking bold move. Bad call, Flanagan. Ewan MacGregor is alright, and I mean they do replicate some Shining iconography pretty well, but even when you replicate something like that pretty well, it’s going to come across as goofy when comparing it to the real thing. This review is messy, but so is the film. Its a hot mess. So cartoony and cliche and laughable. Most of its attempts at a scare, tone, emotion were pathetically unsuccessful, for me anyway. The cinematography is mostly stale, the characters really really really suck. The music is overused. Way too many unscary horror cliches. Overall, there was just very little I was actually able to take seriously in this film. I haven’t been this shocked by a films reception literally maybe ever.

24%