Tenet

Tenet

Have Debicki and Washington switch roles and this might be my favorite Nolan. It’s a total mess but in the ways that don’t really matter to me. This and Dunkirk seem to signal a new Nolan phase where he’s throwing out the chunky sentimentality that hampers lots of his previous work (even though I find it endearing on a case by case basis) in favor of undying commitment to hyper dense exposition and visual innovation and some larger than life integration of the two. Smarter people than I have written about his use of every tool at his disposal; montage, motion, space, sound (which was pitch perfect in true blue IMAX this time around). I also think this is particularly moving in 2020 because Nolan’s optimism isn’t just morphed to tailor to the current state of the world but directly filtered through a fairly contemporary lens, with anxieties present he’s explored before but never fully centered until now; impending collapse, climate change, income inequality, powerful people exploiting complicated new technologies, various agencies acting in their own best interest for their own selfish gain. Still feel like I need to watch a third time to be able to articulate anything concrete related to the actual narrative mechanics, but the logistics on display speak for themselves through the visuals alone, which is more than enough for a guy like me :-)

Becky liked these reviews