Heat

Heat ★★★★½

Really Great -> A Favorite Movie For Each Year I’ve Been Alive

The influence this film has had on entertainment is massive, from soft remakes like Den of Thieves and The Town, to Nolan’s heavily inspired blockbusters and even video games like Grand Theft Auto. Watching Heat this late in the game, I was a bit worried it wouldn’t blow me away considering that I’ve already had so much exposure to the aforementioned media. However, all of that went out the window with the opening armored truck robbery and I knew I was in the hands of a brilliant filmmaker. Michael Mann directed this film so masterfully with white-knuckle action sequences and ultra realistic shootouts that hold up incredibly well twenty five years later. His writing is also on point with some great dialogue and characters that are fleshed out enough to make you care about every single subplot. Everything is executed perfectly and it all comes together in a powerful and iconic ending.

Not only is Michael Mann at the top of his game but you’ve also got the legendary duo of De Niro and Pacino along with a stacked supporting cast; it’s almost too good to be true. Pacino definitely steals the show though in one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from him. This film was a treat from beginning to end and I didn’t even feel the three hour runtime. I can’t wait to rewatch it and I’m definitely going to be playing “spot the Heat influence” every time I watch another crime/heist thriller.

Vince liked these reviews