Cinema Paradiso

Cinema Paradiso ★★★½

Giuseppe Tornatore’s Cinema Paradiso is truly his love letter to cinema. With all of its grandeur and elaborate execution, I can’t help but feel a little bit dismayed because of its familiarity and sentimentality. It follows the life of a young boy all the way when he turned into a successful man. It’s also a story of a town and his relationships to these people and how their shared passion and love for cinema connected and united them as a whole unit.

The film is very cheesy and at times pedestrian in terms of how it presents its characters. I felt that Tornatore’s film wants to be too friendly for English audiences to get to see a foreign-language film and that’s what he did. There’s nothing wrong with that, but again it’s not my cup of tea. However, I still admire how the film expressed its deep, profound love for cinema which really answers the question “why do we really want to go to the movies?” That final montage of kissing scenes and that glorious Morricone score really saved this film and that alone is worth the time.

Vince liked these reviews