The Overnight

The Overnight ★★★½

Patrick Brice’s four-hander sex comedy surprises with its unpredictability, sharp wit, and playfully sensuous humor. It’s like Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf Gone Nasty and Kinky. The film follows two couples who turns their innocent night to a wild romp that they will not forget. It’s sincere, cheeky, sexy, awkward and yet very hilarious. It’s a film that talks about the things (dick sizes, sexual fantasies, homosexual desires, sexual discontent and etc.) that most couples are afraid to even talk about or just do. In a way, the film pokes fun with these themes and yet it turns out to be somewhat thoughtful and heartfelt which I admire about it.

The four actors (Jason Schwartzman, Adam Scott, Judith Godrèche, and Taylor Schilling) are wholly committed to this and they all created an instant manic chemistry in a short period of time. I’m impressed particularly to Schilling, whose character is the sanest of out these psychos, who is pretty grounded and confused juggling everything that’s happening around her. Godrèche is quite a scene-stealer as well. Overall, The Overnight is such an edgy, pleasant, kinky *surprise*. You never know what is next after each scene which made me appreciate the film. And yes, it’s very hilarious.

Vince liked these reviews