Rosogolla ★★

Utterly mediocre until the last third, Rosogolla is an unexpected disappointment from Pavel. I really enjoyed his charming first movie Babar Naam Gandhiji, and while Rosogolla shares a similar interest in simple, saccharine human stories, it is inexplicably poorly written, acted, filmed, and edited. I also feel the two leads were poorly cast. The last 40 minutes finally and satisfyingly tell the story the movie wants to tell, but the 100 minutes prior are mindless meandering filled with thin drama, nonsensical story, and zero stakes. If it wasn't for the beautiful colors, gorgeous costumes, and occasional dance numbers, it wouldn't be worth sitting through.

I watched this on a plane and the guy next to me was watching one of the Maze Runners. Even without audio, the predictable green-screen-heavy dystopian teen hyper-drama threequel seemed like a breath of fresh air and an objectively better movie.

I'm sure there is a story to tell about the origin of the Rosogolla, and I'm sure its quite interesting and worth sharing. But this feels superfictional and ridiculous, a clumsy, overlong parody of the better movie it could have been.

What a shame.