Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★½

Alright, somebody needs to address the big Sorkin-shaped elephant in the room and it might as well be me...

I have nothing against the guy. The Social Network is in my top 10 favorite films of all time. He clearly has a lot of talent when it comes to writing snappy and immersive dialogue and making characters sound incredibly charismatic and smart, he’s able to get solid enough performances from his actors despite his screenplays doing far better in the hands of other directors.

Every shortcoming that The Trial of the Chicago 7 had is done superbly in this film. The performances and writing hold up to the same level as the excellent sound design, rich shot compositions, and superb editing. The score is used far more subtly and impactful, whereas certain sequences in Chicago 7 left me rolling my eyes into the back of my skull mostly due to the overbearing nature of the score. Judas and the Black Messiah is a movie that refrains from sugarcoating, and for good reason. I’m definitely calling it early but this is currently my favorite of the year and with good cause. Get an HBOMAX free trial and watch it. You have no excuse not to.

Vinny liked these reviews