The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel ★★★★½

"holy fuck! What's the meaning of this shit?"

Wes Anderson's panache for deadpan kills me dude. His films are hung on a repetitive yet sturdy structure: long moments of silence and/or self reflection buttoned by an understated joke, usually in the form of an absurd chain of words. His (usually) lead actors follow this beat perfcekty (perfectly): Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Anjelica Huston, Edward Norton, Luke Wilson, etc too many to name really. His supporting actors fit the world but they represent jarring departures of the norm in order to subvert the storytelling: Bruce Willis, Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, Frances McDormand, Harvey Keitel, again etc too many to name. I say that to say: he has a sense for comic timing and pretty much all of his actors are doing the best comedy bits of their lives.

Anyway! Brilliant use of miniatures and full sets to blur the line of what's true and what's not, and really make this thing pop with fantasy! I wonder if Anderson went into this with a better understanding of miniatures after Fantastic Mr. Fox. Love the nods to classic hotel movies as well as the James Bond (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) homage.

Colors are great. The jokes are endless and pretty much every single one lands. Good example of "I don't really understand the punchline of that but I recognize it's supposed to be funny"

So on and so forth!