Parasite

Parasite ★★★★½

hu·mil·i·ate
/(h)yo͞oˈmilēˌāt/

to make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect, especially publicly.

recommended by: haley and marquise
recommend me a film here

20x5 - directors // (17/100)
bong joon-ho (film 5)

lia's cast chart challenge // (2/12)

task 12 - watch a film that contains a team-winning or team-playing theme (sports, work, political, family, anything you can team up)

[pluto in scorpio: your generation's psyche is comparatively passionate, intense and perceptive.]

i'm struggling to think of words that i could say about parasite that haven't already been said. there was so much to grasp that i think multiple watches are inevitable for this film. but wow, bong joon-ho is really a master, isn't he?

there were a myriad of themes that struck me in this piece: grief, loss, greed, desperation, classism, hardship, familial obligation, condescension, distance, loneliness, emptiness, hunger (literal and figurative), just to name a few. but what sticks with me the most, at least on my first watch (yes, i really haven't seen this until now somehow), is the theme of humiliation. the loss of dignity, the stripping of one's self-esteem. most of what occurs in this film, especially in the third act, can be pulled from this underlying source. those who dish out shame are perishable, just like the ones they embarrass. no one is above anyone else. that's an important lesson that bong joon-ho is trying to convey here.

perhaps the smell of a basement *is* like an "old radish"; perhaps it's putrid, lingering, a foul stench upon the nostrils. but the far more lasting odor is the rotten aroma of pride. vanity can be a disease that eats you from the inside out. what do any one of us have left at the end of the day besides ourselves? who we are? or, maybe a more important question: who are we? parasite is asking you to choose what kind of person you want to be, and it's asking you to live by that, to live *up* to that. will you?

"proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves." - emily brontë

"i could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." - jane austen

"pride must die in you, or nothing of heaven can live in you." - andrew murray

"pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold." - thomas jefferson

"my pride had been starched by a family who assumed unlimited authority in its own affairs." - maya angelou

(bong joon-ho - ranked)

(top favorite first watches of 2020)

(part of my priority watchlist of 2020)

(2019 - ranked)