Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia! ★★★★★

Ok so I know letterboxd dot com should be a place where we can all express subjective taste, but disliking Mamma Mia is completely intolerable by all means and just shows that you do not have a full grip on cinematic language.

Imagine being so jaded that you watch the Dancing Queen sequence and not feel anything besides absolute unfiltered Bliss?? It’s just not possible! It’s just. NOT. Possible! I truly and wholeheartedly believe that accepting the greatness and pure cinematic wonder of Mamma Mia will set you down a more positive and successful path in life. Honestly, I cannot COUNT the amount of depressive episodes and terrible moments in life this film (and ABBA in general) has gotten me through. Donna and the Dynamos have gotten me through the hardest of times I’m 1000% serious this is not a joke to me.

Some people may argue, “oh yeah Mamma Mia (2008) is fun but it’s bad in its formal elements” BUT THATS FALSE TOO! All of the performances deserve trophies, specifically Christine Baranski and Colin Firth. The writing.... THE DIALOGUE (“little boys who play with FIRE get their FINGERS burned!” “Oh yes girls, we done gëwd!”) is beyond brilliant. Oh, and the camerawork during The Winner Takes It All? Only the greatest long take in the history of cínèma! THE PRODUCTION DESIGN!! THE COSTUMES IN THE FINAL NUMBER!!! There is no way of denying that this motion picture is 100% perfect and that’s just the way it is! There’s no way around it I know we should call movies perfect but this is a perfect movie. Everything about it works perfectly.

Block or Report