Parasite ★★★★½

Vprento’s 2019 Movies: Best to Worst

What have I just seen?!
I'm finding it a bit hard to put my thoughts about this movie into words, because I've never seen anything quite like Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" before.

This is a stellar film from a filmmaker who is a master of his craft and is currently on top of his game, with this undoubtedly being his finest feature. It's impossible to classify "Parasite" into a single genre and all common genre classifications don't do it justice.

A nail-biting thriller, a gripping family drama, a brilliant piece of social commentary, lots of satire and more are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to describing this movie. It's been a while since a highly acclaimed movie managed to meet my expectations and this one surpassed them with ease.

Honestly, taken at face value, the premise and the overall story don't sound like "Palme d'Or-winning movie", but there's SO much depth, detail and nuance between the lines, it's insane.

The directing and writing are impeccable, the editing is top-notch and the cinematography and the production design are sublime. The house is an architectural feat in more ways than one and it serves as the perfect contrast to Ki-taek’s deteriorating family basement apartment.

Multilayered and realistic characters inhabit these homes and the performances behind them are phenomenal all around, with Kang-ho Song, Yeo-jeong Jo and Choi Woo-shik being my personal favorites.

Please go into "Parasite" without any previous knowledge, because this is one of the best movies of the year and it deserves your full attention.

Viktor liked these reviews