Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★

Vprento’s 2018 Movies: Best to Worst

Wait a second, THIS is the 6th highest rated movie on Letterboxd? It's not that high even on IMDb's Top 250 list. Don't get me wrong, it's a very enjoyable feature, but the universal appeal surrounding it kind of baffles me.

It took me half an hour to get used to the visual style of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse", but once I did, I really started to enjoy everything that was unfolding in front of my eyes. This is a gorgeous movie, or should I say a comic book that managed to find its way to the TV screen. Some frames are picture perfect.

I enjoyed the humor and really liked Miles Morales as a protagonist of a Spider-Man flick, as well as some of the ideas behind the story, but there's a lot missing and the emotional impact is negligible.

Miles Morales, his dad and his uncle, Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy are the only meaningful characters in this movie, and even that is sometimes a stretch. Peni Parker, Spider-Ham and Spider-Man Noir, although occasionally funny, are just unnecessary and almost instantly forgettable, while Kingpin and Doc Ock are underwhelming as the villains.

I chose to focus on the weak points of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" in this review, just because 99% of everything that has been said about it is only positive stuff. This is a very fun movie, no doubt, but it's not the second coming of Christ.

Viktor liked these reviews