What Have You Done Today Mervyn Day? ★★★½

Newspaper delivery boy rides bike, delivers paper in the Lower Lea Valley, eventually learns it's 7/7, end. Not much to it, really: an excuse to film a particularly grim/industrial/dilapidated section of London before it was torn apart as the site of the 2012 Olympics. "It's a horrible place," director Paul Kelly told The Guardian. "We've managed to take all the grimness and greyness and make it look beautiful." Which it does, a feat of historical preservation doubling as disingenuous aesthetic alchemy: I don't have much to say on this, because the locations and history are so specific, but this is basically a series of beautiful, cut-to-the-quick shots of both sites broken down into pleasingly framable chucks and of "Mervyn Day" speeding through the countryside, giving papers to unseen men lurking inside dilapidated far-off buildings, zipping past a boarded-up, long-disused multi-story stable (!) from the industrial age, silent accepting one more cuppa and brooding over his breakfast. Melancholy, post-industrial decay, Saint Etienne: this one's for me.