Oldboy

Oldboy ★★★★½

vengeance is a part of me

Still one of the most sympathetic volatile cinema experiences I’ve ever witnessed. Straight out the gate the fucked up-ness of this is beyond the limit and gives it the most bleakish art appeal to grace the screen.

But I’m here to review the overall themes of the film that deal with love, loss and anger. The string of emotions dangling around this gem cherish how great South Korean films are and how impactful they can get with such layered storytelling, vulnerable characters and the realism of situations that prey on the dark nature of humanity: revenge.

Choi Min-sik’s performance throughout is immense but it’s the last 15 mins that twisted my soul, wringing the life out it from his impressive talents. The disturbing journey his character Oh Dae-su embarks on grants the audience a laminated transformation of how bare the human heart can amount too. Such skilled storytelling that lacks nowadays with bloated cgi fuckfests.

But as great as this film is, it’s nothing without its frantic serene score from Jo Yeong-wook that breathes the disturbed essence of dark retribution. But in the key notes of aspiration in depressing stages. It gorgeous and definitely shines bright in the third act amongst swirling of vehement & regret.

As hopeless as this film gets it’s just so beautiful in its determination of filmmaking and lost prominent storytelling. Nothing in this nature has come close to stand with Park Chan-wook’s magnum opus, cause his visionary narrative abilities is fresh, woke and most of all sincere in the ingenuity of masterful filmmaking psyche.

Wade liked this review