Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★½

do you fear the dark abyss

okay...so I was so excited when I saw this was coming out cause I enjoyed the first SO much. I was very excited to continue the journey with Captain Jack and his comical mishaps. The light hearted joy from the first is what made me so interested in pursuing the adventure with our three leads once more. When I finally got to see it...I kinda got that experience at half value.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the themes they invest in with new characters, more creatures from the sea and just overall seeing the tone get a little dark...well much darker...which was also the problem unfortunately. The fun loving charm was there but it was smothered in dirty oil and left out in the sun baked into a dry crisp. It just didn’t have the magnetic magic that made the first so daring and explorative. Here it’s dark comedy routine is hit and miss as well as the uneven story teetering on a mega runtime. The Will and Elizabeth love story becomes more annoying, strained with no weight. Depp as fun as he is, delivers Jack more into a running gag of unlikable shenanigans that didn’t match his tone in the predecessor. I hated the whole Beckett subplot as it piles in on Davy Jones’s history which was actually more interesting granted by a terrific performance from Bill Nighy.

I love films that are not afraid to get some grit on it but this just rolled too much in it like a spoiled hypered 3 year old. But technical wise it’s goddamn gorgeous and brilliantly directed from Verbinski who’s visionary talents offer satisfactorily narrative structures in a floppy script. I still have a good time with it but oh my the possibilities they could of went with. But well choreographed action and Hans Zimmer’s sweeping score reminisces fond memories of why I like this series.

ᴡᴀᴅᴇ liked these reviews