Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★★

h͟o͟w͟ ͟a͟b͟o͟u͟t͟ ͟a͟ ͟s͟h͟a͟v͟e͟ ͟?͟

A macabre orchestra of vengeance & blood. lots of blood. like A LOT. and i love it. much like his
Sleepy Hollow, i enjoy burton’s bright red blood look on both these films as he seems to largely reference the blood style from the classic hammer films. idk i just love the warm leaky contrast of it against the pale corpse palette look of these films.

I have not seen this in years! like probably when it first released on home media when i rented it. i was so mixed on it at the time. but omg i really love it now. especially that ending like fuck me! it’s so haunting beautiful. the closeup scene of johnny’s eyes piercing at the camera through the harshly violent lit furnace peephole was aesthetically hell-ish that it burned into me. ugh not going in his personal life here but poor johnny, i hope he really does get his life back on track. he was so good on here and definitely a better singer than i remembered.

Most scenes felt like padding and it does take a bit for sweeney to actually start becoming the titular demon barber. aside from those accounts this is a unique blood-soaked canvas with the grueling art dripping off the page from the broad slashes of a straight razor instead of gentle strokes from a paint brush.

(and yes i do my own clean shaving now)