The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time ★★★½

s̲o̲m̲e̲ ̲p̲e̲o̲p̲l̲e̲ ̲w̲e̲r̲e̲ ̲b̲o̲r̲n̲ ̲j̲u̲s̲t̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲b̲e̲ ̲b̲u̲r̲i̲e̲d̲ ̲

I’m loving more of these films based in wv. Even though they capture the rough side of it more than the tranquility aspects but hey i get it lol. I originally wanted to rate this higher but to a certain extent I was a lil bit underwhelmed—but just a little bit. Because for the most part I really liked this. Especially the first 30mins. Such a perfect opening. Obviously I wasn’t born then but my mom would describe the livelihood of how things looked and how people got by. She was born in the 50s but I always tell her she doesn’t look a day over 30 lol. But anyways good job filmmakers on the foundation starting out. I also really latched onto Holland’s character not because he’s the main lead but just because how the story revolved around him and I can relate to him hardcore. Especially when it tackled the religion bits.

So getting into that I love how it just shows how manipulating one’s religion can be when a certain person takes it to their advantage or just the overall impact of how it affects people who put too much faith into it. It’s a very risky thing especially around my area which the film base it on cuz haha it’s definitely fucking christianity out the ass here. And yeah you guessed it—a lot of hypocrisy with it as well. I’m sure this region will hate on this movie fully. But oh well fuck em. I’m not going to bitch about the accents cuz obviously no one got it right but it’s so minor I could care less. I was actually all about Pattison’s tennessee accent but my friend watching it that was born and raised there said it was more of a caricature voice than an actual native representation haha. Mocked him throughout the film it was hilarious. Srry Rob but I thought you was okay. And the little cgi they had was pretty awful not to mention some bad edits. I know I hate bringing up the editing all the time for films because it’s a tiresome process but from me who has edited a bunch of short projects I can just tell so srry in advance. Also falling more in love with Haley Bennett especially after Swallow

All in all it was really decent and better than what I anticipated. I was hoping for more by the conclusion but wth it was a nice full circle drama that had my attention throughout. But ngtl the line said by the narrator:

“He was the only kid on the school bus who wasn’t somebody’s relation”

had me dying from laughter! I felt that cause my family on my mom’s side was from Ohio and from my dad’s side was from South Carolina so me and my siblings were not related to anyone in this area which is why we grew up somewhat lonely but I’m not saying anything negative about the area or the people but it’s another reason why I connected with Holland’s character 🤣 anyways yes very surprised by this one even though I expected just a bit more from all the talent evolved.

ᴡᴀᴅᴇ 💉 liked this review