Ouija: Origin of Evil

Ouija: Origin of Evil ★★★★★

A PG 13 ghost story with no gore based on a silly board game from Parker Brothers is the best horror film I've seen this year? Yes! Mike Flanagan is a master horror director. Period! Point blank. I did not find any flaws in the film. Nothing I wanted to complain about, nothing at all. Looking at the old Universal Studios logo and title card I saw a confident Flanagan bringing to life his pitch perfect script like the master storyteller he is. A widow "psychic" and her two lovely daughters are trying to cope with the loss of dad and making ends meet during the late groovy 60s. The Ouija board game might drum up more business for mom. For little Doris it will drum up an evil curse that lives right under their noses. Lulu Wilson plays little Doris and she's terrifying. An old dog like me was scared of this little girl throughout the film. Flanagan keeps the story fresh at all times, doubling down on the scares and unfolding the story with horrific twists and turns that I never saw coming. I had a blast. One of the years best for sure.