Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou ★★★★

I have heard that Godard's movies are more fun to talk about than they are to watch. I disagree with that theory. Now at times I did catch myself looking down at my watch during Pierrot, but just because a movie drags in a few places doesn't make it boring or not interesting to watch. Honestly, even when Godard's films get boring they are still fun to watch.

Pierrot le Fou is about a cool hipster husband that runs of with the even more cool babysitter. They shack up in her place for the evening. Once morning comes around it is shown that there is a dead body in the room, but no one seems to either notice or care. Eventually they have to flee Paris and the gangsters that are after them. At this point it becomes a road trip romance, but without a drop of sentimentality.

I love the way in which Godard deals with plot. He discards it. He is substance through style. The style is almost a character in the film. The use of vivid color and irrelevant dialogue are staples of Godard's later work. He was a staple of the French New Wave and this is another crowning achievement in that movement.

The movie has reflections on tons of other films and genre's. I bet that Shawn of the Dead director Edgar Wright loves Godard. I can see the influence in his approach to film making. It references old MGM gangster movies, American Musicals, Bogart pictures, and so forth.

The performances are hard to gauge because it is difficult for me to understand what they are getting at because so much of what they are saying is tongue in cheek or irrelevant to the already thin story line. I will say this about the performances. Belmondo is f'ing cool and there is no two ways about it. You want "cool" personified? Belmondo, Alain Delon and Peter Fonda is a pretty good place to start. Then there is Anna Karina. What a beauty. She is absolutely breath taking in this movie. She was good in Bande, but she may be the first manic pixie dream girl in cinema history.

I enjoyed watching this movie a lot and I am having a very difficult time describing why. Maybe because I haven't slept much in the past 24 hours, or maybe that old adage about Godard's film is flat wrong.

Andrew liked this review