Psycho ★★★★★

This is my favorite Hitchcock film. It works on so many different levels. It may have the tightest structure of any movie I have ever seen. There isn't a wasted scene, shot, or word. Everything you see and hear aid in the development and progression of the story. It's no wonder Hitch refused to allow anyone to enter the theater late. This is his most rich and complete work and it deserves to be seen in its entirety.

As a movie nerd, I could easily write a thesis on this film. I would love to take the time and break down this movie, beat by beat, and analyze the film and its workings. But I guess Gus Van Sant already beat me to the punch on this one.

The opening titles by Saul Bass are iconic. Bernard Herman's score for the film may be his best ever. The performances are fantastic. I think my most recent viewing is where I fully appreciated Anthony Perkins performance. He is working at an insanely high level in the scene that takes place in his office.

There's not much to say about this film that hasn't been said already, so I will just say that I love revisiting PSYCHO and I can't wait to experience it all over again.

Andrew liked these reviews